At the Western edge of the Black Forest in Germany, you can find the picture-perfect, 13th century town of Gengenbach. I paid a visit there a couple of months ago and still hadn’t found the time to share this story with you. I guess I also wanted to keep this to myself a bit.
While I was thinking about what to write about my visit, which was really only about one hour in between to trains before travelling onward to Freiburg and back home to London, I realized I couldn’t find the words.
Yes, the medieval ‘Altstadt’ was beautiful.
Yes, I can totally see why this is a popular place for people to visit.
But words just cannot seem to do it justice, and so I’ve decided to turn this article into a photo post. Because, well, just look at the images and you will know exactly what I mean:
Gengenbach: The Prettiest Town in Germany?
How to get to Gengenbach:
From Freiburg, you can take the Intercity train to Offenburg, where you change onto the local train that stops at Gengenbach. Pretty easy! It’s about 50 minutes, you can get a ticket from the machine on the station. It’s around 15 Euros one way.
Read more on the Baden Württemberg Region: www.tourism-bw.com
I was invited to the Black Forest Region by the German Tourism Office as part of the #JoinGermanTradition Blog Trip in June 2015, created and executed by iambassador in cooperation with the Dutch office of the German Tourism Authority. Gengenbach wasn’t on the itinerary, I just went there because a local told me to not miss it. And you should always listen to the locals, obviously!
Glass Factory Visit: Glass Blowing at the Dorotheenhütte Wolfach, Germany [VIDEO]
10 Living German Traditions in the Black Forest
Traditional German Food in the Black Forest: Mouth-Watering Photos
Looking for other cool places to visit in Germany? We can recommend:
- One Day in Stuttgart
- One Day in Freiburg
- One Day in Berlin
- One Day in Bremen
- One Day in Hamburg
- One Day in Magdeburg
- Transromanica Road Trip
Looking for more ‘One Day in…’ City Guides?
- One Day in Amarante, Portugal
- One Day in Aquileia, Italy
- One Day in Bath, England
- One Day in Berlin, Germany
- One Day in Bremen, Germany
- One Day in Brussels, Belgium
- One Day in Burgos, Spain
- One Day in Casablanca, Morocco
- One Day in Dublin, Ireland
- One Day in Exeter, England
- One Day in Exmouth, England
- One Day in Fez, Morocco
- One Day in Freiburg, Germany
- One Day in Galle Fort, Sri Lanka
- One Day in Ghent, Belgium
- One Day in Grado, Italy
- One Day in Greenwich, England
- One Day in Hamburg, Germany
- One Day in Helsinki, Finland
- One Day in Innsbruck, Austria
- One Day in London, England
- One Day in Magdeburg, Germany
- One Day in Manchester, England
- One Day in Marrakech, Morocco
- One Day in Santo Domingo De Silos, Spain
- One Day in Southampton, England
- One Day in Stockholm, Sweden
- One Day in Stratford-Upon-Avon, England
- One Day in Stuttgart, Germany
- One Day in The Hague, Netherlands
- One Day in Vienna, Austria
- One Day in Zamora, Spain