In our upcoming guide to Game of Thrones shooting locations in Northern Ireland, you will find the famous Dark Hedges that provided the scene of the Kingsroad in the tv-series.
But did you know that some of the trees of the dark hedges got damaged after a massive storm in January 2016? While the storm left over 14.500 homes without power across Northern Ireland and some of the famous trees got knocked down, there was something positive that came of out it…
Tourism Ireland commissioned 10 incredibly detailed carved doors, made from the wood of the trees. They each show important moments from each of the 10 episodes in the 6th season of the series.
- GAME OF THRONES TOUR – BELFAST & BEYOND
- Episode 1. The Cuan [6-10 The Square, Strangford Village, Portaferry]
- Episode 2. Fiddlers Green [10 Church St, Portaferry, Newtownards BT22 1LS]
- Episode 3. Percy French [Slieve Donard Resort & Spa, Downs Rd, Newcastle BT33 0AH]
- Episode 4. Blakes Of The Hollow [6 Church St, Enniskillen BT74 7EJ]
- Episode 5. Frank Owen’s Bar [50 Main St, Limavady BT49 0EU]
- Episode 6. The Fullerton Arms [22 Main St, Ballintoy, Ballycastle BT54 6LX]
- Episode 7. Gracehill House [141 Ballinlea Rd, Stranocum, Ballymoney BT53 8PX]
- Episode 8. Mary Mcbrides Bar [2 Riverview Cres, Cushendun, Ballymena BT44 0PG]
- Episode 9. Ballygally Castle [Coast Rd, Ballygally BT40 2QZ]
- Episode 10. Dark Horse [Hill St, Belfast BT1 2LB]
GAME OF THRONES TOUR – BELFAST & BEYOND
While it’s not possible to visit the Game of Thrones set in Belfast itself, this self-guided tour is a great replacement, as all doors are also close to locations where Game of Thrones filmed its episodes. You can find the doors in 10 different pubs and restaurants!
I only got to see a couple of the doors during my visit of Northern Ireland, but this is the complete list of where you can find them:
Episode 1. The Cuan [6-10 The Square, Strangford Village, Portaferry]
Westeros – The lay of the land with great houses dispersed across the map and dangers lurking in every corner of the continent.
Episode 2. Fiddlers Green [10 Church St, Portaferry, Newtownards BT22 1LS]
House Bolton & Greyjoy – The flayed man of House Bolton, rising above exposed muscle and crossed swords, which are being strangled by vines. Below that the Heart Tree of Winterfell. Below that the Greyjoy Kraken falling down (representing the murder of King Balon). I thought this was the scariest of all doors on our Game of Thrones Belfast Tour!!
Episode 3. Percy French [Slieve Donard Resort & Spa, Downs Rd, Newcastle BT33 0AH]
John Snow’s Resurrection – A direwolf running into a battlefield, surrounded by a threatening array of swords, spears and daggers.
Episode 4. Blakes Of The Hollow [6 Church St, Enniskillen BT74 7EJ]
Power Games – The dragons stand for a change of fortune of House Targaryen. Other details show the Sons of the Harpy masks and references to House Arryn, signifying Little Finger’s influence.
Episode 5. Frank Owen’s Bar [50 Main St, Limavady BT49 0EU]
The White Walkers – The Night’s King and his army meet Bran Stark.
Episode 6. The Fullerton Arms [22 Main St, Ballintoy, Ballycastle BT54 6LX]
Essos – House Targaryen and more specifically: Drogon (Daenerys’ most aggressive dragon). Also Dothraki horses at the bottom.
Episode 7. Gracehill House [141 Ballinlea Rd, Stranocum, Ballymoney BT53 8PX]
House Stark – The deceased Three-Eyed Raven, The Stark direwolf sigil and a beech tree leaf hidden inside a crown. Perhaps one of my favourite doors on this Game of Thrones Ireland tour.
Episode 8. Mary Mcbrides Bar [2 Riverview Cres, Cushendun, Ballymena BT44 0PG]
Arya’s Journey – The Faceless Man coin that brought Arya to the free city in the center, below that needle.
Episode 9. Ballygally Castle [Coast Rd, Ballygally BT40 2QZ]
Battle of the Bastards – Symbols of House Stark and House Bolton opposite of each other.
Read more about the Ballygally Castle Hotel in our blog post!
Episode 10. Dark Horse [Hill St, Belfast BT1 2LB]
A Game of Ice and Fire – This door features a number of symbols: Great Sept of Baelor, House Tyrell Rose, Seven Pointed Star, Lannister Lion, Hand of the King.
See how the doors were made and discover unique Game of Thrones Ireland locations:
Map of all locations of the doors:
For more information on all these Game of Thrones locations and general travel information on Northern Ireland, please visit:
- Visit Britain: www.visitbritain.com/…/northern-ireland
- #OMGB: en.omgb.com
- Discover Northern Ireland: www.discovernorthernireland.com
This Belfast Game of Thrones Post gives you more information on all the locations of the doors : www.belfastvibe.com
Where do they film Game of Thrones? Book your own Game of Thrones Tour Belfast & Beyond with Viator and find out:
Read our other blogs about Northern Ireland here:
Game of Thrones Fan? Then You’ll Love These Articles:
- Game of Thrones Locations Malta and Gozo: See Them All With This Extensive Guide!
- Game of Thrones Shooting Locations in Northern Ireland: A Complete Overview Per Episode, with Map!
- Game of Thrones Tour Belfast & Beyond: Discover the Secret Doors!
- Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour Ideas: 6 Unique Experiences You Don’t Want to Miss
Are you visiting Northern Ireland soon? Which of these doors do you hope to spot on your own Belfast Game of Thrones Tour?
Disclaimer: I visited Northern Ireland and all Game of Thrones Belfast & Beyond locations on invitation of Visit Britain and Tourism Northern Ireland as part of the #OMGB campaign. All opinions and love of Game of Thrones Europe Locations in this article is 100% my own!