You know that you are close to the meaning of life when you are full of enthusiasm, when you do things with love – Paulo Coelho
The Travel Tester is a travel and lifestyle magazine encouraging you to try new things. We LOVE to help you choose authentic, immersive experiences around the world that improve your quality of life.
This is how we hope to achieve that:
1. Travel & Lifestyle Inspiration
Through our Bucket List, Pinterest Boards and many articles on travel, lifestyle, creativity and business, we hope to give you lots of ideas for activities that help you find happiness and purpose in life. We share everything from practical tips to unusual experiences and challenges – all over the world, or simply in your own backyard.
2. Destination Guides
Whether you decide to travel for just one day, one weekend or one week, we can help you plan your itinerary with our practical destination guides focusing on highlights as well as local favourites. We also have experience in long-term and expat travel, so any questions, please feel free to pick our brains!
3. Product & Service Reviews
Don’t you agree there is just too much choice when it comes to travel planning? What to pack, where to stay and what activities to, it can really drive you crazy. While we believe strongly in experience over possessions, we are proud to share our best (video) tips on accommodation, hotspots, products, services and tours & activities.
After visiting over 30 countries, we believe that travel is one of the best things in life, but we also understand that it can sometimes makes you feel a bit lost, alone or uncertain. It still does for us every now and then, even though we’ve both been travelling all our lives. We want you to know that we are here for you and you can always contact us with questions, or simply to have a chat. Let us know when you’re in London to meet up!
Who We Are
We’re Nienke Krook and Nick Vullings, two Dutchies currently living in London. When we met each other in a hostel in Sydney in 2008, little did we know the adventures we would be going on in the years to follow.
We toured New Zealand on a party bus, discovered most of Australia when we lived in Sydney for over two years, hiked a mountain in Nepal, ate heaps of undefinable food in Japan, drank all the wine in Portugal and couldn’t stop looking up in New York (just to name a few memorable things).
Here in London, Nienke spends most of her time in the digital world of travel blogging and Pinterest and Nick changes the skyline working as an architect. But we’re not finished exploring the world, for sure!
Happiness. Passion. Creativity.
If there is anything we have learned on the road, it’s that by following our hearts and choosing for the path on which we can learn the most (rather than the smoothly paved one), we push ourselves into reaching a little further and achieving more every day.
And now, after a couple of years working hard to build on our dream life, we finally are able to pick the fruits of our hard labor, so to say. We both have jobs we enjoy, get to see a lot of the world and fill our spare time being creative and doing things we love.
Sure, there are always struggles in one way or another, but we deal with them as they come along and try to stay focused on the end goal: a happy life that we created ourselves. And that’s exactly what we would like for you to achieve as well.
Who is Nienke Krook?
Nienke grew up in Diemen-Zuid, The Netherlands (next to Amsterdam) and is the granddaughter of a published travel writer with several books on faraway destinations, lightweight travel & wilderness survival on his name.
With an archaeologist/photographer dad and a cartographer mum, Nienke and her brother have been taken all around Europe (mostly in a trailer tent) since they were little.
Nienke used to be a primary school teacher and is now looking to share her lessons learned travelling with you on this weblog.
- Nienke is a fond collector of brochures. Nick is not, that’s why she’s busy scanning them all to upload onto the website. There are, however, hundreds and hundreds of them…
- While Nienke likes most food, she is really fussy about eggs (only hard boiled) and carrots (only never).
- Nienke and her family lived on the Caribbean island of Saint-Martin when she was 7 and again when she was 9.
- Being a huge fan of The X-Files and many other Sci-Fi series, seeing a real (alien?) crop circle in a field in South-England years ago was a highlight not to forget.
- Having a huge Pinterest addiction, it was only a matter of time before she would turn this hobby into a business. She now manages multiple blogger- and brand accounts, is a public speaker on the topic and founded Mappin Monday, a global Pinterest community, as well as Dream.Pin.Go., a Pinterest website for the tourism industry.
Who is Nick Vullings?
Nick grew up in Venlo, The Netherlands and is fluent in Dutch, English, German and his local dialect which Nienke can understand, but probably can never speak properly.
With his older brother & sister and his parents he also travelled in a trailer tent or in hotels around Europe. He also made several study trips in Europe and to Russia with friends from university.
Nick is working as an architect and dreams of building his own house and creating other memorable pieces of architecture, like the new Sydney Opera House, or something simple like that. On The Travel Tester, Nick combines his enthusiasm for architecture, design, being active and travel.
- Nick spent a semester at the University of Sydney in 2008, the year he met Nienke.
- Having discovered meat pies while living in Australia, Nick has perfected the recipe and bakes them often on the weekend.
- Nick is very patient. He probably got that from the many hours spend fishing with his dad -and never catching anything.
- Since being with Nienke, Nick has spent more time with her overseas than in his home country.
- Nick only send 1 Tweet in his entire life. It went viral. Not even Chuck Norris can do that.
Let’s Try Something New Today!
But enough about us. What experiences do YOU want to have on your next trip? Do you want to get active? Do you want to find the best places to eat well? Are you looking to learn something? Or perhaps you’re more interested to see art & design? Whatever your reason is for travelling, we’ll make sure to cover it here on The Travel Tester.
We strongly believe that you create your own happiness and that by trying new things, you challenge yourself and will keep on growing as a person. Life moves fast, so be sure to make the most out of it!
In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.
You can follow us here on the website, chat with us on Facebook or on Twitter, get inspired on Instagram, see our funny videos on YouTube (well, we think they are funny at least), or pin along on Pinterest.
Looking to read more inspiring travel blogs from around the world? We round the best ones up in our weekly Newsletter “The Compass”! Here, we will also bring you our latest updates and other cool news and deals. Don’t miss it: